Thursday, November 27, 2008

So thankful...

I am overwhelmed with gratitude right now. It's Thanksgiving Day, but it doesn't really feel like it. I woke up this morning at 6 am to get ready for my 8 am class. This is the first time I've worked on Thanksgiving - but I told my students this morning that if I had to work today, I'm glad that I got to come teach such awesome students. I could see little smiles all around the room - I love it when they smile.

I'm not watching the Thanksgiving Day parade or smelling any amazing food that my mom is cooking...instead, I'm waiting for a student's reply to my invitation to come over and eat peanut butter and jelly with me. We tried to do it yesterday, but she called me in tears to let me know she had to cancel. I've never seen anyone as excited as this girl was to have peanut butter and jelly - she'll truly be overwhelmed with gratitude if it works out. :)

I was reminded this morning before class that I am exactly where I'm supposed to be right now. At the moment I don't feel sad about not being at home with my family - I definitely miss my family and all the wonderful food we usually share this day, but I've been brought to China for this time right now, and for that I am so thankful! Plus, I've been showered with "Happy Thanksgiving" messages today - it's only 11:45 am, and I've received 18 text messages from students and teachers telling me thank you and wishing me a great Thanksgiving. The first one came at 7am! How awesome is it that they care enough to recognize the importance of this day for us? Tonight, my team will cook some American food, bake some cookies, spend some time thanking the One who brought us here, and replace the football watching tradition with watching a movie. :) Then this weekend, we will all travel to LangFang to meet up with the other 7 members of IECS plus our leaders Newt and Claire and Tony and Lily. Here we'll have some traditional Thanksgiving food!! Can't wait...

My heart and mind are so easily distracted by what I do not have sometimes. This week I've battled to have the right focus of being thankful for what I do have: an incredibly loving team who fulfills the call to carry one another's burdens, amazing friends who love me and encourage me even from across the world, an opportunity to experience my Maker in this new setting, and a chance to pour out Love that has so richly filled me and can no longer be contained.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

No comments: